BRUSSELS, Feb. 20 (Xinhua) -- European Council President Donald Tusk said on Friday the European Union (EU) was considering new measures over the situation in Ukraine.
Tusk said there had been "more than 300 violations" of the ceasefire since the Minsk II agreement took effect at midnight on Feb. 15.
"We are clearly reaching a point when further diplomatic efforts will be fruitless unless credibly backed up by further action," he said in a statement, adding that he was "consulting European Union leaders on the next steps."
He said he would travel to Kiev on Sunday "to express my solidarity with the people of Ukraine."
Related:
Ukraine closes almost half of crossings on border with Russia
KIEV, Feb. 20 (Xinhua) -- Ukraine has temporarily closed 23 of its 52 valid crossing points on the border with Russia, the Ukrainian government's press service said Friday, without giving a reason for the move.
The closure of the crossing points included ten border checkpoints in the restive eastern Lugansk region and two in the neighboring Donetsk region, according to the statement posted on the government's website. Full story
Hollande, Merkel mull over sanctions if Minsk peace deal on Ukraine violated
PARIS, Feb. 20 (Xinhua) -- French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday said any country that failed to respect the Minsk agreements would face sanctions, recalling the need to fully impose the ceasefire deal as fighting escalated in eastern Ukraine.
"Any country that would break Minsk agreement on Ukraine would face sanctions but our intention is not to impose sanctions," Hollande said in a joint news conference with Merkel. Full story