German citizen killed in Kabul suicide bombing: source

English.news.cn   2014-12-12 02:20:24

KABUL, Dec. 11 (Xinhua) -- A German national was killed besides the suicide bomber after a French Cultural Center came under attack in central Kabul earlier on Thursday, a security source said.

"One German civilian was killed as a result of a suicide bombing which occurred at 05:20 p.m. (local time) Thursday, and 20 others sustained injuries," the source told Xinhua anonymously.

The blast occurred while hundreds of people gathered at the hall of the French cultural center in the French built High School the Istiqlal Lycee or high school in downtown Kabul, he said, adding four wounded were in critical condition.

Details about the killed German national remained unknown at this span of time, he noted.

The Taliban insurgent group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Taliban has intensified attacks with a string of bombings over the past couple of months as the NATO and U.S. forces are withdrawing from the country. The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from NATO-led troops by the end of this month.

More than 1,560 Afghan civilians were killed and nearly 3,290 others wounded in conflicts and Taliban-led attacks in the first six months of 2014, according to a UN mission in the country.

Editor: yan
Follow Xinhuanet     
分享
Related News
010020070750000000000000011105521338488251