EU extends sanctions relief on Iran

English.news.cn   2014-11-26 05:14:24

BRUSSELS, Nov. 25 (Xinhua) -- The European Council here on Tuesday said it has extended until June 30, 2015 the suspension of EU sanctions specified in last year's Joint Plan of Action agreed by P5+1 and Iran.

According to an European Council press release, this move followed the decision by the the P5+1 group, which consists of the United States, Britain, France, China, Russia and Germany, and Iran to prolong the validity of the measures of the Joint Plan of Action until that date.

The press release said while the remainder of the EU sanctions against Iran remain in place, the suspension allows: the provision of insurance and transport in relation to Iranian crude oil sales to current customers, the import, purchase or transport of Iranian petrochemical products, as well as trade in gold and precious metals with the Iranian government and its public bodies. The increase in thresholds for authorizing financial transfers to and from Iran also remains in force.

The implementation of the Joint Plan of Action includes for the EU the suspension of a "limited number" of restrictive measures for a period of six months beginning in January of 2014, according to EU documents.

EU documents said the EU's sanctions target those persons and entities supporting the program and revenues of the Iranian government used to fund the program. The EU sanctions are not aimed at the Iranian people.

Iran and six world powers on Monday agreed to extend deadline of nuclear talks to July 1 next year in an attempt to secure the prospects of a deal.

Based on the agreement, the interim Geneva deal, or the so-called Joint Plan of Action, sealed on Nov. 24, 2013, will also be extended by June 30, 2015, and the talks will resume in December.

Related:

French FM says Iran nuclear talks "rather positive"

PARIS, Nov. 25 (Xinhua) -- French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Tuesday that he thought the tone of the Iran nuclear talks in Vienna was "rather positive."

Speaking with radio France Inter on Tuesday morning, Fabius confirmed the talks had been extended until March or possibly the end of June on account of a favorable agreement not having been met. Full story

West could not defeat Iran in nuclear talks: Iran's supreme leader

TEHRAN, Nov. 25 (Xinhua) -- West could not defeat Iran in the recent nuclear talks between the Islamic republic and the major world powers, which aim to clinch a comprehensive lasting deal, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said here on Tuesday according to the leader's website.

"As for the nuclear issue, the United States and the European colonialist countries came together (in Vienna of Austria) to bring the Islamic republic to its knees but they couldn't and they will not do so," Khamenei said following the Monday agreement between Iran and the powers to extend the deadline of nuclear talks to the end of June next year. Full story

Iranian media's mixed response to extension of nuclear talks

TEHRAN, Nov. 25 (Xinhua) -- The Iranian media did not react homogeneously on Tuesday to the extension of the deadline for the nuclear talks between Iran and world powers the day earlier.

While the reform-seeking media cautiously responded to the agreement, the conservative newspapers were outspoken about the "disadvantages" of the Monday agreement that allowed an extension of the deadline for nuclear talks to the end of June next year. Full story

Editor: Shen Qing
Follow Xinhuanet     
分享
Related News
010020070750000000000000011100001338137531