Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Entertainment
Most Searched: Venice Film Festival  fashion week  magazine  Zhang Ziyi  Captain America  

Australia granted wildcard entry to 2015 Eurovision Song Contest

English.news.cn   2015-02-11 08:19:46

CANBERRA, Feb. 11 (Xinhua) -- Australia has been invited to join the glitz, glamour and theatrics of the Eurovision Song Contest after being granted a wildcard entry to this year's event by contest organizers.

The announcement was broadcast on Australian television on Wednesday morning, but Eurovision organizers were coy about the reasons for admitting Australia to a largely European event -- to be held this year in Vienna.

"It's a daring and at the same time incredibly exciting move. It is our way of saying 'let's celebrate this party together'" said Jon Ola Sand, Executive Supervisor of the contest.

The move does have a precedent, however, as Australian singer Jessica Mauboy made a guest appearance in 2014.

Australian ratings for the contest have soared in recent years, drawing an average nightly viewership of over 750,000 people in 2013 and over one million in 2014.

Australia's Eurovision broadcaster, SBS, released a statement on Wednesday confirming the news.

"The deal is a result of SBS's ambition to increase Australia's presence at Eurovision following the success of Jessica Mauboy's performance last year in Denmark," the release said.

"Australia's enthusiasm for the contest has been embraced by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and the 2015 host broadcaster ORF, who have invited SBS to send an artist to compete as a wild card entry for 2015 in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the contest."

Those watching from home will be able to get into the spirit of the contest, after it was announced that Australian fans will be given the right to vote in the proceedings.

A performer is yet to be announced by SBS, however according to the broadcaster's Eurovision host Julia Zemiro, a decision will be made "very shortly".

The contest, to be held in May, is expected to be watched by over 195 million people worldwide.

Editor: Mengjie
分享
Related News
Home >> Entertainment            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Ent News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001339853521