Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
China
Most Searched: Children  APEC  anti-Japanese  Diaoyu Islands  meat scandal  

China's HK gov't strongly condemns illegal acts of violent radicals

English.news.cn   2014-12-01 17:30:58

HONG KONG, Dec. 1 (Xinhua) -- The government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on Monday strongly condemned the illegal acts of violent radicals.

The government said the acts of the protesters taking part in unlawful assemblies for conspiring and organizing the storming of police cordon lines and blockading access to the Central Government Offices (CGO) and Lung Wo Road showed blatant disregard for the law and endangered public safety.

A government spokesman reiterated that the society would not accept the illegal acts of violent radicals who repeatedly pushed police officers and charged their cordon lines during scuffles Sunday night and Monday morning, adding these illegal acts had seriously disrupted public order and put the safety of police officers and protesters at stake.

During the jostling, the violent radicals deliberately threw objects including water bottles, helmets and pepper powder at the police officers. They also used strong flashlights against police officers and attacked them with fire extinguisher spray.

The violent radicals repeatedly provoked and verbally abused police officers and continuously incited others at the scene to charge the police cordon lines. To prevent the situation from deteriorating, the police took resolute action by using appropriate force to stop these illegal acts and disperse and arrest those involved.

However, the radical protesters ignored repeated police appeals and warnings and continued to charge the police cordon lines. Eleven police officers were injured during the incident and 40 persons have been arrested so far. Further arrests will be made.

The government strongly condemned the student groups for planning illegal assemblies and inciting protesters to charge towards the CGO repeatedly.

The spokesman said a number of recent polls had revealed that the majority of the people hope that the protesters would leave the occupied sites as soon as possible and cease the blockades of roads. However, the relevant organizations went against the views of the majority and escalated the occupy actions, aggravating the damage to social order and sacrificing the overall interests of the Hong Kong people.

On claims by the student groups that the blockade of the CGO will continue until the government responds to their demands, the government has reiterated repeatedly that any discussion relating to constitutional reform must be guided by the Basic Law and the decision of the National People's Congress Standing Committee. Deliberate disregard for and distortion of these important legal principles through building castles in the air would only delay the constitutional and democratic development of Hong Kong.

The government appealed to organizers of the illegal assemblies to stop their illegal acts immediately and ask all participants to remain calm and exercise restraint, stop provoking police officers and charging police check lines, and leave the scene peacefully and in an orderly manner. The police will, in the light of the prevailing circumstances, continue to take appropriate action to restore public order and protect public safety.

Related:

Interview: HK plays irreplaceable role in connecting mainland and world

HONG KONG, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- Executive Director of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) Margaret Fong Shun-man highlighted Hong Kong's irreplaceable role as the connector between the mainland and the world.

Global business owners are eyeing Asia, especially the mainland, for growth amid global economic uncertainties, while an increasing number of Chinese companies are striving to go global. As a connector in the region, Hong Kong can facilitate both of them to achieve their goals, Fong said in a recent exclusive interview with Xinhua. Full story

HK gov't strongly condemns storming of LegCo building

HONG KONG, Nov. 19 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)government on Wednesday strongly condemned the violent acts by some violent radicals who stormed the Legislative Council (LegCo) Complex in the early morning.

In the course of forcing themselves into the LegCo Complex, violent radicals repeatedly charged the Complex by using mills barriers and bricks to smash the glass doors at different places and damage the building facade, resulting in severe damage to various parts of the Complex, the government said in a statement. Full story

Editor: Shen Qing
分享
Related News
Home >> China            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top China News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001338257081