HONG KONG, Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong Financial Secretary John Tsang said Sunday that the on-going Occupy Central movement would damage government operations and the rule of law.
Writing on his blog, Tsang warned that Hong Kong's long-term political stability will be affected if the protests become the city's new political paradigm.
The acts by the protesters, including occupying roads and defying court rulings, will not only do harm to Hong Kong's economy but also cause damages to governance and the rule of law as well, he wrote.
Tsang echoed comments by University of Hong Kong law professor Albert Chen that the current conflict was dragging Hong Kong into decline.
"Rome wasn't built in one day, but just one mistake could destroy it," Tsang wrote.
He also criticized filibustering in LegCo by radical democrats earlier this year, which had led to the delay of 21 projects at a cost of one billion HK dollars (129 million U.S. dollars).
Related:
HK business leaders: Occupy Movement damages economy, social order
HONG KONG, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- Several Hong Kong business leaders have criticized the month-long Occupy Central Movement, saying the illegal movement has disrupted Hong Kong's social order and would cause long-term damage to the business environment of the Asian financial center.
Cheng Kar-shun, chairman of the New World Development and a Standing Committee member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), told local media that the fact the organizers of the Occupy Central Movement are sacrificing Hong Kong people's interests to pursue democracy indicated no sense of democracy. Full story
Former HK chief executive calls for end of occupation
HONG KONG, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Occupy Central movement will tear Hong Hong's community apart and severely affect the city's economy and livelihood, Hong Kong's former Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa said here on Friday, calling on protesters to end the occupation.
Tung, who is also vice-chairman of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, made the remarks at a press conference held in the former chief executive's official mansion. Full story
HK gov't promises to convey their appeals to Beijing after talks with students
HONG KONG, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- The Hong Kong government on Tuesday held the first formal talks with student leaders speaking for sit-in protesters to find a peaceful way to end the Occupy Central movement which started on Sept. 28.
Sitting opposite to each other, five government officials and five student representatives shared views on how the region's next leader will be elected by universal suffrage in 2017. Full story