YANGON, May 19 (Xinhua) -- Two Chinese national contractors with Chinese copper mining company Wanbao, kidnapped in Latpadaungtaung copper mine project area in Myanmar's Monywa Sunday, were released Monday evening, the company said.
The two kidnapped, who returned to the work camp at 7:15 p.m. local time, are in good shape, the company said on its website.
The company expressed thanks to Myanmar local government officials for their efforts in the release of the two Chinese nationals.
It also expressed appreciation for the media's attention to the incident and thanked all the villagers and village elders who contacted the company and offered their help.
Along with another Myanmar national, the two Chinese nationals, working for the Norbenco team under the company, were taken away when doing work of surveying the land in the southern part of the project area Sunday morning.
The Myanmar national had been freed Sunday evening, leaving the two Chinese nationals detained until their present release.
The incident happened as the construction work on the Latpadaungtaung copper mine project in Monywa in northwest Myanmar 's Sagaing region resumed in last October under a revised contract signed in last July by the state-owned Myanmar Mining Enterprise, Myanmar Economic Holding Ltd and China's Wanbao Mining Ltd.
Chinese company demands immediate release of contractors kidnapped by activists in Myanmar
YANGON, May 19 (Xinhua) -- Wanbao, the Chinese Copper Mining Company on Monday sent a request letter to Chief Minister of Myanmar's Sagaing Region U Thar Aye, asking for urgent assistance for the immediate release of two Chinese nationals working for the Norbenco team under the company, who were kidnapped by activists on Sunday.
Three contractors, sent by Wanbao company to do work of surveying the land in the Southern area, were taken away by activists claimed to be from a group called the Student Network of Mandalay and two monks Sunday morning at 11 a.m. local time. Full story