MANILA, May 7 (Xinhua) -- Chinese embassy in Manila urged the Philippines on Wednesday to "take no more provocative action" after 11 Chinese fishermen were seized by Philippine police near Half Moon Shoal of Nansha Islands.
Chinese embassy spokesman Zhang Hua said in a statement that the embassy had already lodged representations with the Philippine side upon learning of the incident.
What has the Philippines done seriously infringed upon the sovereign rights and maritime rights of China, Zhang said.
He urged the Philippine side to "immediately" release detained Chinese fishermen, return their properties and ensure no more similar infringement acts are taken in future.
The spokesman reiterated that China has indisputable sovereign rights over the sea area, including the Half Moon Shoal of Nansha Islands, where the incident occurred.
The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday confirmed the arrest of the Chinese fishermen.
The DFA explained that such actions were not meant to raise tensions with China.