KUALA LUMPUR, April 6 (Xinhua) -- Kidnappers made their first phone call to the family of the Chinese tourist they abducted along with a Filipino resort worker from a Semporna resort, Malaysian local newspaper New Straits Times quoted Eastern Sabah Security Command Director-General Mohammad Mentek as saying on Sunday.
"The call was made by a representative of the gunmen who informed the family that victims are safe," he said, adding that no demand had been made by the abductors as far as he knew.
Mohammad said the police was making an investigation, and all security departments in Esscom had discussed the positioning of their vessels and boats in Semporna waters.
"The military, Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency, and the marine police have managed to restructure the position of their assets taking into account the passage commonly used by kidnappers and new routes that have been identified," he added.
Philippines launches extensive search to rescue Sabah kidnapped
MANILA, April 5 (Xinhua) -- Philippine authorities are conducting extensive search and naval blockade to locate and rescue the two victims who were abducted by suspected Abu Sayyaf Group from a resort in Sabah, Malaysia earlier this week, a senior government official said Saturday. Full story
Malaysia detains four in connection with abduction of Chinese tourist
KUALA LUMPUR, April 4 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian police said Friday they had detained four people on Thursday evening for further investigation into the Semporna resort kidnapping.
The four, three men and a woman, are without any documents. Full story