BEIJING, March 21 (Xinhua) -- Three Chinese Air Force planes have been sent to a Malaysian air base to help with the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
Upon commands of the Central Military Commission, the aircraft, two IL-76 transport planes and a Yun-8 cargo plane, scrambled from an airport in south China's Sanya at about 8 a.m. Friday, said the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force spokesman Shen Jinke.
Shen said the mission was decided according to arrangements made by China's marine salvage authority and Malaysian authorities.
To date, the Chinese Air Force has sent seven planes to the MH370 search areas, flying 41,158 km and scanning an area of 73,000 square km, according to Shen.
He said the PLA Air Force has set up a command team to direct Chinese planes' rescue operations in Malaysia, and added, "As long as there is a glimmer of hope, we will spare no efforts."
Chinese vessels set out for S. Indian Ocean, multinational search for suspicious debris resumes
BEIJING, March 21 (Xinhua) -- More Chinese vessels will set out for the southern Indian Ocean to search for the missing Malaysian jetliner, while the multinational search operation for suspicious debris of MH370 resumes on Friday.
Chinese rescue vessels Haixun 01 and Nanhaijiu 101 will sail off to the search area in the southern Indian Ocean, more than 3,000 km southwest off Perth, Australia, where possible MH370 debris was found on Thursday through satellite imagery. Full story
24-meter-long suspicious object sighted: AMSA
CANBERRA, March 20 (Xinhua) -- The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said on Thursday that two objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted, with the large one about 24 meters long.
"The objects are relatively indistinct. The indication to me is of objects that are of a reasonable size and probably awash with water and bobbing up and down over the surface," said AMSA official John Young.Full story
Australia identifies two possible objects related to search for missing plane: Malaysian official
KUALA LUMPUR, March 20 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak received a call from his Australian counterpart Tony Abbott at 10:00 am this morning, informing him that "two possible objects related to the search for" MH370 had been identified in the Southern Indian Ocean, Malaysian official said Thursday in a statement.
"The Australian High Commissioner has also briefed me on the situation," Hishammuddin Hussein, minister of defense and acting minister of transport of Malaysia, said in the statement.Full story