KUALA LUMPUR, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Malaysia would send a high-level working team to Beijing to deal with issues related to the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner, acting transport minister said Wednesday.
"The team will give briefings and updates to the next of kin on the latest situation, and on search and rescue plans," Hishammuddin Hussein, also Malaysia's defence minister, told a press conference.
He said the team would be comprised of representatives from the Prime Minister's Office, the Foreign Ministry, the Royal Air Force, the Department of Civil Aviation and the Malaysia Airlines.
The team, led by Lieutenant General Dato'Sri Ackbal bin Haji Abdul Samad, air operation commander of the Royal Air Force, would also include a senior 777 pilot.
The Boeing 777-200 flying as MH 370 went missing in the early hours of March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. There were 239 people on board, including 154 Chinese.
As many as 26 countries have been involved in the search that covers an area as large as Australia.
The minister urged related countries to share "any and all information that could help with the investigation and the search for MH 370."
"I can confirm that we have received some radar data, but we are not at liberty to release information from other countries," he said.
On the police investigation, the minister said some data had been deleted from the flight simulator found at the captain's home and experts were trying to retrieve the data.
Reports said Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, 53, has more than 18,000 hours of flying experience and is keen on cooking and had great enthusiasm for flying. He is also a member of Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim's party.
Background checks have been conducted on passengers except those from Russia and Ukraine, he said, stressing that "no information of significance on any passengers has been found."
He also dismissed reports alleging that a low flying jumbo jet sighted in the Maldives on the morning of the plane's disappearance could be MH370.
Chinese vessels set out for new search areas for MH370, no clues found so far
BEIJING, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese vessels set on Wednesday for new search areas to hunt the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner when a multinational search mission for MH370 enters its 12th day.
Nine vessels, including China's largest rescue ship Haixun 01, will sail off from Singapore to waters southeast of the Bay of Bengal and west of Indonesia, covering an area of 300,000 square km, said China national maritime search and rescue center. Full story
Cambodia expresses sympathy to families of passengers in missing Malaysian flight
PHNOM PENH, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hor Namhong on Wednesday extended his deep sympathy to the families of the passengers on board the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.
The flight disappeared over south Vietnam on March 8. Full story
Search for MH370 in S.Indian Ocean continues in Australian search, rescue region
SYDNEY, March 19 (Xinhua) -- The search operation for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Southern Indian Ocean has continued in the Australian Search and Rescue Region, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said on Wednesday.
AMSA said Wednesday's search was focused on an area of 305,000 square km about 2,600 km south-west of Perth. Full story