BEIJING, March. 3 (Xinhua) -- Police have found flags of "East Turkistan" forces at a Chinese train station where a terrorist attack killed at least 29 civilians and injured over 140 in the southwestern city of Kunming, a spokesman said on Monday.
"Some flags of the 'East Turkistan' forces were discovered at the site, according to the initial findings of the police. Investigation of the terrorist attack is still under way," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said at a daily news briefing.
The "East Turkistan" forces, among which the East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM) is a major group, are one of the major and direct reasons for increasing terrorist attacks in China, particularly in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
The ETIM, listed by the United Nations Security Council as a terrorist group, claimed responsibility for the Tian'anmen attack in October in which five people were killed and 40 others injured.
Qin stressed that the Chinese government will stage a tough crackdown on the worst violent terrorists, whoever and wherever they are, whatever affiliation they may have, and whenever the attacks happen.
The terrorists, positioning themselves in opposition to any ethnic groups or religions, are a common enemy to mankind, Qin said.
When asked to comment on some foreign governments that failed to call the Saturday violence a terrorist attack, Qin expressed his hope that the international community could be unanimous in voice and action when dealing with terrorists.
Foreign governments and international organizations have expressed condemnation and indignation over the terrorist attack and sent their sympathies to the Chinese government and people, the families of the victims and the injured in particular, Qin said.
"This represents the mainstream of the international community, the voice and conscience of mankind," Qin added.
[Photos]Volunteers donate blood for victims of Kunming terrorist attack
[Photos]The injured in Kunming terrorist attack receive medical treatment
Xi vows punishment on terrorists, careful rescue for victims
BEIJING, March 2 (Xinhua) -- Chinese president Xi Jinping has urged the law enforcement to investigate and solve the case of Kunming terrorist attack with all-out efforts and punish the terrorists in accordance with the law.
More than 10 terrorist suspects attacked people at the square and ticket hall of Kunming Railway Station at 9:20 p.m. on Saturday, killing at least 28 civilians and injuring 113 others. Full story
Kunming terrorist attack suspects captured
BEIJING, March 3 (Xinhua) -- Chinese police said Monday three suspects involved in the terrorist attack in the southwestern city of Kunming had been captured.
The Ministry of Public Security said in a statement that the terrorist gang of eight members led by Abdurehim Kurban was responsible for the attack.Full story
Kunming airport steps up security checks
KUNMING, March 2 (Xinhua) -- The Changshui International Airport in Kunming of southwest China's Yunnan Province has stepped up security checks on Sunday following the Saturday terrorist attack that left 29 civilians dead and more than 130 injured.
Travellers at the airport will be subject to more frequent and closer scrutiny over their body and luggage, airport officials said, adding that the enhanced checks will prolong the process and thus advising passengers to check in earlier. Full story
Int'l community slams terrorist attack in southwest China, sending condolences
BEIJING, March 3 (Xinhua) -- The international community has strongly condemned a deadly terrorist attack in Kunming, capital of southwest China's Yunnan Province and sent condolences to the victims' families.
The United Nations Security Council said in a statement on Sunday that the 15-nation UN body condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist attack on Saturday evening in the Kunming train station.Full story