URUMQI, Feb. 14 (Xinhua) -- The number of people affected by a 7.3-magnitude earthquake that jolted China's Xinjiang region on Wednesday has shot up to 58,000 from the previously reported 7,800, as relief efforts continued into a third day.
By 10 a.m. on Friday, the quake had affected 58,127 residents in six counties of Hotan Prefecture, with 19,905 relocated to safety, according to figures released by the regional civil affairs department.
It has also toppled 3,281 houses, damaged 30,322 other properties and killed 2,163 heads of livestock, causing direct economic losses of about 271.6 million yuan (44.5 million U.S. dollars), showed the figures.
The department said reported statistics on losses inflicted by the disaster have surged since calculations are still under way.
Relief work is progressing and no casualties have been reported, it added.
The epicenter, in a sparsely populated area with an average altitude of 5,000 meters, is more than 50 km from the nearest settlement, Aqqan Township in Yutian County, Hotan Prefecture.
As of Friday morning, the regional civil affairs authorities have distributed about 900 tents, 1,500 sets of bedclothes and 1,500 overcoats, as well as allocated 5.4 million yuan for disaster relief.
In addition, they have also delivered 54.5 tonnes of flour, 3,550 kg of edible oil and 610 tonnes of coal to the relocated.
The first batch of relief goods from the Red Cross Society of China arrived in Pixka Village in Aqqan on Friday afternoon.
The Ministry of Civil Affairs allocated 300 tents, 1,000 cotton quilts and 1,000 cotton overcoats to the quake-hit area on Friday.
The civil affairs department of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, governments at all levels in the disaster-hit region and Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps have allocated tents, quilts, overcoats, food and other daily necessities to disaster-hit people.
The basic needs of the people affected by the quake have been guaranteed, and all disaster relief work is under way in an orderly fashion, the ministry said.