KUNMING, Jan. 17 (Xinhua) -- A fire in an ancient town in Shangri-la, a resort county in southwest China's Yunnan Province, on Saturday was caused by a heater, local authorities said on Friday.
The blaze broke out in Ruyi Inn in Dukezong Ancient Town after its owner Tang Ying forgot to turn off the heater, causing it to set fire to a curtain, according to a statement from the fire-fighting and disaster-relief headquarters.
Tang is being investigated for negligently causing the fire, the statement said.
The fire burned over 59,980 square meters, damaging more than 240 houses, with another 43 properties having to be dismantled. The blaze caused direct economic losses of 89.83 million yuan (14.85 million U.S.dollars).
Apart from houses, shops and infrastructure facilities, the fire damaged cultural relics, Tibetan thangka and other Tibetan art.
Photo >> Old town in China's Shangri-La caught on huge fire
Photo >> Fire in China's Shangri-la destroys 100 houses
Video >> Shangri-la fire caused by carelessness of using electricity
Probe finds electrical fault caused Shangri-la fire
KUNMING, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- A fire in an ancient town in Shangri-la, a resort county in southwest China's Yunnan Province, on Saturday was caused by an electrical fault, local authorities said on Monday.
The blaze broke out in Ruyi Inn in Dukezong Ancient Town after an electrical fault set a curtain on fire, according to the result of a preliminary investigation. Full story
Pain, dreams linger in burnt down ancient town
SHANGRI-LA, Yunnan, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- The smell of ash lingered over a snowy ancient town in Shangri-la, a famous tourist site in southwest China, on Monday.
As many as 300 homes were destroyed in the 1,300-year-old Tibetan town of Dukezong in Yunnan Province on Saturday after its worst fire in its history. More than 2,600 residents have been relocated. Full story