BEIJING, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- China on Tuesday urged the United States to take measures to safeguard Chinese diplomatic and consular institutions, after police arrested a suspect for last week's arson attack against the Chinese consulate building in San Francisco.
"China urges the U.S. side to thoroughly investigate the case, punish the troublemaker and take any necessary measures to effectively ensure the safety of Chinese diplomatic and consular institutions, and to avoid any further case of this kind," said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying.
China will closely watch the case as the investigation continues, Hua said at a regular press briefing.
The front door of the Chinese consulate-general in San Francisco was severely damaged in last Wednesday's arson attack, but no casualties resulted.
Suspect arrested over Chinese consulate arson in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 6 (Xinhua) -- A man suspected of carrying out the arson attack on the Chinese consulate in San Francisco, California, has been arrested, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced Monday.
The 39-year-old man suspect has permanent resident status of the United States, special Agent David Johnson, chief of the FBI's San Francisco office, said at a press conference. Full story