BEIJING, Dec. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that some of the Chinese citizens in South Sudan had safely left the country.
"The Chinese Embassy to South Sudan, as well as embassies and consulates in neighboring countries and cities where relevant flights will stop for transit, have offered assistance in consulting services, customs procedures, coordination and resettlement," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a daily press briefing.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Embassy in South Sudan have issued safety alerts to warn Chinese citizens against travel to South Sudan in the near future and have demanded non-essential personnel to evacuate as soon as possible, Hua said.
"So far, there have been no reports of death or injury of Chinese nationals," she said.
Hua added that China has asked relevant authorities in South Sudan to reinforce security protection for Chinese citizens and organizations.
"The Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Embassy to South Sudan will closely follow the developments of the situation and take necessary steps to safeguard the security and lawful interests of Chinese citizens and organizations in South Sudan," Hua said.
Armed conflict broke out in mid-December between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar, who was removed from office in July.
The fighting has triggered a humanitarian crisis, forcing foreigners to flee the country and some 20,000 civilians to seek refuge at the UN Compound in Juba, capital of South Sudan.
The conflict has left hundreds of people injured and has displaced thousands more.
China to help South Sudan resume stability
BEIJING, Dec. 23 (Xinhua) -- China on Monday pledged to work with all relevant parties to help South Sudan resume stability as soon possible.
China is greatly concerned with the development of South Sudan's situation, and is promoting negotiation with its own way, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a regular press briefing. Full story