|A man transfers belongings in a boat in Tuocong Village of Shangsi County, south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Nov. 11, 2013. Brought by Typhoon Haiyan, gales and rainstorms hit Guangxi recently, causing serious damages and economic losses to local residents. (Xinhua/Liang Fuying)
BEIJING, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Haiyan has left at least five people dead in China, the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters said on Monday.
The victims included four people in the southern island province of Hainan and one in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, said the headquarters.
Haiyan, the strongest typhoon in the world so far this year, arrived in Guangxi on Monday morning after having wreaked havoc in the Philippines and Vietnam.
It has brought rainstorms and floods to Guangxi and Hainan, destroying houses and damaging farmland.
The National Meteorological Center said Haiyan is moving northeastward and is expected to weaken on Monday evening or on Tuesday morning.