HONG KONG, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong Chief Executive C Y Leung said Tuesday in Beijing that the Hong Kong government will seek justice for the families of the victims and injured people in the Hong Kong hostage crisis in Manila, the Philippines, three years ago, according to a statement on the Hong Kong government website.
Leung made the remarks in response to a resolution by Manila's City Council on Tuesday requesting the city government to apologize to the people of Hong Kong for the 2010 crisis that left eight Hong Kong people dead.
The Hong Kong chief, who just arrived at Beijing to attend a symposium on Wednesday, said he learned the resolution when stepping down the plane and he will inform the public when any achievement is made.
Leung said with the support of China's central government, they have been contacting the Philippine government in the last two weeks and will keep doing that to seek justice for the families of the victims and those who got injured in the tragedy.
He emphasized that the Hong Kong government will also keep in touch with the relatives of the victims and the injured, and their opinions will be respected.
Philippine media reported that the council hopes the apology will mend the strained relationship between Hong Kong and Manila.
Survivors and relatives of the victims have been pushing for a formal apology and compensation for three years. Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, however, said earlier this month that he would not apologize, adding there was one lone gunman responsible for this tragedy.
Video >>> Manila mayor to apologize for Hong Kong hostage crisis
Manila mayor to apologize for Hong Kong hostage crisis
MANILA, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- The City Council of Manila, part of the capital region in the Philippines, has passed a resolution taking it upon the city government to apologize to the people of Hong Kong for the 2010 Hong Kong hostage crisis, local media reported.
The council members expressed hope that the formal apology from the city, to be hand-carried by former President and now Mayor of Manila Joseph Estrada himself, will put closure to the hostage crisis which led to the death of eight Hong Kong people, Interaksyon reported Tuesday on its website. Full story
Philippines not to set aside HK hostage crisis: gov't official
MANILA, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- Philippine Deputy Presidential Spokeswoman Abigail Valte on Sunday reassured families of the victims of the Quirino hostage crisis of 2010 that resulted in the death of eight Hong Kong tourists that their plight is not being set aside and efforts to find a solution is being done.
Valte said in an interview over state radio Radyo ng Bayan that President Benigno Aquino III had already instructed Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to provide the families of the victims of the hostage crisis a briefing on the status of the case and how the legal process works in Manila. Full story