GUANGZHOU, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- At least 29 people have been killed since typhoon Usagi, the most powerful this year, made landfall in south China's Guangdong Province on Sunday evening, authorities said Tuesday.
As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, more than 530,000 residents in the province had been relocated after the typhoon landed at the costal area of Shanwei City, said a written statement issued by the provincial civil affairs department.
The typhoon has disrupted lives of 9.23 million people, damaged 152,000 hectares of crops of and demolished 15,000 houses.
Direct economic losses have reached 17.76 billion yuan (2.9 billion U.S. dollars), it said.
The department, together with the provincial financial department, allocated 10 million yuan for disaster relief. Tents, quilts and clothes have been sent to the affected area.
The typhoon also cut off water and electricity supplies in areas of Shantou and Shanwei cities.
Eight people were killed and eight others injured at the construction site at the Shanwei section of the Xiamen-Shenzhen Railway Line as wind toppled the house they were sheltering in. Yu Jian'er, president of the No. 2 People's Hospital of Shanwei City, said one worker died in hospital on Tuesday when water shortage affected his treatment.
Water and power supply did not resume until 10 p.m. Tuesday in the city , and repair work in other areas is still under way.