GUANGZHOU, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- Six people are confirmed dead and three others missing in south China's Guangdong Province due to the geological disasters triggered by southwest monsoon, said local authorities Saturday.
Earlier this week, four people were killed and four others went missing in the province due to downpours and floods triggered by Typhoon Utor.
As of 4 p.m. Saturday, more than one million people from 262 villages and towns were affected by heavy rainfalls triggered by the monsoon, said the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters, adding that 109,300 people were relocated.
According to the headquarters, 70,650 hectares of farmland were affected while 1,936 houses collapsed.
Downpours have disrupted transportation, leaving more than 3,000 residents trapped in Zijin County, according to the local government.
Rescue work is underway.
Torrential rain is expected to continue in Guangdong on Sunday, according to the provincial meteorological bureau.