BEIJING, July 27 (Xinhuanet) -- The 2-year-old girl who was critically injured after a man threw her to the ground was pronounced dead.
Doctors at the Beijing Tiantan Hospital affiliated with Capital Medical University, where the girl was taken after the attack, said that the body of the girl had been sent for an autopsy.
The girl was confirmed dead at about 11 pm on Thursday.
The toddler was sleeping in a stroller when two men in a car asked the mother to move it away so that they could park near a bus station in Beijing's Daxing district at around 8:50 pm on Tuesday, Beijing police said.
Enraged by the mother's refusal to move the stroller, the suspect, surnamed Han, came out of the car, knocked down the woman and threw the girl on the ground.
The other man, surnamed Li, also allegedly hit the woman before both men escaped in the car.
Han was arrested in a spa in Fangshan district at about 3 pm on Wednesday, and the car was found in Beijing's Haidian district, police said.
On Thursday, Li turned himself in at Daxing police station.
Both men are Beijing residents with criminal records: Han was convicted of larceny and Li of robbery, police said.
The police did not give more details about the men.
Local media reported - after interviews with neighbors and family members - that Han is in his 40s and Li in his 50s.
Both men were released from jail last year after serving long-term sentences.
Wang Peng, a lawyer in Beijing, said that the minimum sentence that Han faces is life in jail, considering "the horrible nature of the case".
Li may face up to three years in jail, Wang said.
(Source: China Daily)