SHIJIAZHUANG, May 2 (Xinhua) -- Two girls in Pingshan County of north China's Hebei Province have died after drinking a bottle of yogurt that appears to have been deliberately tainted with rat poison, said local police on Thursday.
They consumed the yogurt on the morning of April 24 in Lianghe Village of Lianghe Town. After their grandmother found it on a roadside along with several notebooks, she picked up the yogurt and notebooks and brought them home.
Her granddaughters shared the yogurt after coming back from kindergarten in the afternoon. Shortly after, both were found foaming at the mouth and suffering convulsions. One girl died on the way to hospital, and the other on Wednesday.
A preliminary probe found that the yogurt was tainted with rat poison. According to police, the head of the rival kindergarten to that attended by the girls confessed that she injected the poison into the yogurt, and asked a man to put it, together with some unused notebooks, on the road to the two girls' kindergarten.
Police told Xinhua that the poisoning was motivated by the two kindergartens' competition for students in the same village.
The police have detained both suspects and are investigating the case.