BEIJING, Feb. 6 (Xinhua) -- A Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said Wednesday that China opposes any moves that could create more tension on the Korean Peninsula.
Spokeswoman Hua Chunying made the remarks at a daily news briefing in response to a question regarding the current situation on the peninsula.
Last month, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) announced a "higher-level" nuclear test after the UN Security Council approved a resolution condemning a DPRK rocket launch that took place last December.
"We are opposed to any action that could cause tensions or be inconducive to the denuclearization of the peninsula," Hua said, urging all parties concerned to remain calm and make joint efforts to maintain peace and stability.
Hua confirmed that Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi exchanged views regarding the situation on the Korean Peninsula with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry over telephone Tuesday night.
Yang said it is the common responsibility, as well as the common interests of all parties concerned, to appropriately address the nuclear issue and maintain peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.
"The Chinese side is committed to the achievement of denuclearization, as well as maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula," the spokeswoman quoted Yang as saying.
"The current situation on the peninsula is sensitive and complicated and the Chinese side is highly concerned about the developments there," Yang told Kerry.
"All parties should keep the overall situation in mind, take a cautious attitude, be committed to the achievement of denuclearization on the peninsula and try to address the concerns of all parties through dialogue so as to avoid the progressive escalation of tensions," Yang was quoted as saying.
During his talk with Kerry, Yang said all parties should work together to create conditions for the early resumption of the six-party talks.
The six-party talks, a negotiation mechanism that includes the DPRK, the Republic of Korea (ROK), the United States, China, Japan and Russia, were launched in 2003 but stalled in December 2008. The DPRK quit the talks in April 2009.