WASHINGTON, July 18 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Friday warned consumers against powdered pure caffeine sold in bulk bags over the internet after the death of an American teenager who used these products.
"These products are essentially 100 percent caffeine," the FDA said in a statement. "A single teaspoon of pure caffeine is roughly equivalent to the amount in 25 cups of coffee."
Symptoms of caffeine overdose can include rapid or dangerously erratic heartbeat, seizures and death, the U.S. regulator said. Vomiting, diarrhea, stupor and disorientation are also symptoms of caffeine toxicity.
"These symptoms are likely to be much more severe than those resulting from drinking too much coffee, tea or other caffeinated beverages," it said.
The FDA said it is aware of at least one death of a teenager who used these products. U.S. media have identified the victim as a 18-year-old boy from the state of Ohio, who was found dead in his home on May 27 after taking powdered caffeine.