ABUJA, Nov. 3 (Xinhua) -- Dozens of people were feared killed on Monday after a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at a religious gathering in Potiskum area of Nigeria's northeastern state of Yobe, witnesses said.
The incident occurred amid a religious procession by a group known as Shi'a Muslim Brotherhood in the northeastern province located about 220 km from Maiduguri, capital of Borno State and headquarters of Boko Haram in Nigeria, Hussein Ibrahim, a witness, told Xinhua.
He noted more than 30 people were feared dead as the procession venue was full to the brim at the time of the incident.
Yobe State police chief Markus Danladi also confirmed the incident, saying the suicide bomber was among the dead casualties.
"The suicide bomber hid himself among the Shi'a group and detonated his explosive device, killing members of the group. I am still on my way to the scene of the incident," he said while declining to give the official figure of casualties so far recorded.
Ibrahim told Xinhua that many members of the Muslim Brotherhood were injured and immediately taken to a state-run health facility in the area.
But for Monday's incident, Potiskum has witnessed relative peace in the last four months. The last attack in the city was recorded in June when Boko Haram detonated explosive devices in two separate mosques.
Security operatives had immediately cordoned off the area to forestall further attacks, a senior military officer said.