LAGOS, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The first Nigerian confirmed to have contracted the Ebola virus had been discharged after full recovery, the government said late on Saturday.
Minister of Health Onyebuchi Chukwu, who told reporters in Lagos, Nigeria's economic hub, said the patient was discharged after conclusive discharge protocols, adding that she could go home to resume her normal life.
Five other Ebola patients have almost fully recovered, Chukwu said, adding that the female doctor had attended to the Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, who brought the disease to Nigeria on July 20. Sawyer died on July 25.
Chukwu said Nigeria had recorded 12 confirmed cases, four of which have died, while 189 people are under surveillance in Lagos, and six in southeast state of Enugu.
According to the minister, all the persons under surveillance were secondary contacts, noting that all the patients under treatment have now moved to the new 40-bed isolated ward provided by the Lagos state government.
The minister also said the Nanosilver drug which was made available to the Emergency Operations Center in Lagos on Aug. 14, did not meet basic research requirements.
Chukwu denied the rumor of Ebola virus in Imo, Abia and Cross River states while saying that the case in central-north state of Kwara was still under investigation.