ABUJA, June 18 (Xinhua) -- At least 13 people were killed and 21 others injured after an explosion hit a viewing center where a world cup match was being televised in Nigeria's northeastern state of Yobe on Tuesday night, security and hospital sources said on Wednesday.
State police chief Sanusi Rufa'i confirmed the incident to Xinhua, saying the explosion occurred right outside a crowded viewing center in Damaturu, the capital of the northern province.
Rufa'i said a detachment of police officers had been deployed to the scene of the incident and details of the explosion or figure of casualties were yet to be made available.
A security official who took part in the rescuing of victims said 21 injured people had been received at Damaturu Specialists Hospital, while 13 corpses were deposited at the facility's morgue late Tuesday.
A health worker at the medical facility said the military-led Joint Task Force (JTF) conveyed bodies of the dead victims to the hospital. The health worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he helped in receiving the bodies and deposited them in the hospital's mortuary.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bomb attack, but residents and witnesses blamed it on Boko Haram, which has proved to be a major security threat in Nigeria since 2009.
On May 24, a massive explosion hit Nigeria's central Jos City, capital of Plateau State, as football enthusiasts gathered at a viewing center to watch the final of 2014 UEFA Champions league between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. Officials blamed the incident on Boko Haram and said 18 people died in that particular attack.
Boko Haram seeks to enshrine the Islamic Sharia law in the constitution of Nigeria, Africa's most populous country. The group was responsible for the mid-April abduction of more than 200 school girls in the northeastern state of Borno.