TRIPOLI, June 18 (Xinhua) -- The Libyan government on Wednesday demanded the United States to hand over the suspected designer of the 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.
The suspect, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, now in U.S. custody in a secure location outside of Libya, was arrested on Sunday following a joint cooperation between American troops and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Libya's second largest city of Benghazi.
Libyan Foreign Ministry Spokesman Said al-Saoud said the government condemned the U.S. operation on Libyan territory without government's prior knowledge, adding that the suspect should be returned to Libya and tried in Libyan courts.
"I followed the government statements made by the U.S. officials that their forces kidnapped Libyan citizen Ahmed Abu Khtallah. We emphasize Libya has the right to try him in accordance with our laws," al-Saoud said.
Libyan Justice Minister Saleh al-Marghani also made a statement on Wednesday saying Khatallah should be returned to Libya and tried there.
Last year, the U.S. filed charges against Khattala and at least a dozen others in connection with the attack on the U.S. Consulate on September 2012 in Benghazi which killed the U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and other three U.S. nationals.