LAGOS, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's military has confirmed 18 people were killed and 19 others injured in a bomb explosion which rocked the northeast town of Mubi in Adamawa state Sunday evening.
All the injured had been evacuated to hospitals for treatment, Director of Defense Information, Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, said in a statement Monday.
Troops in the area had arrested a suspect identified with the car used in conveying the bomb, he said, and the suspect was being interrogated while further investigation was ongoing.
The powerful blast struck a bar, where a crowd of people were watching a televised football match.
It was not clear whether the Boko Haram sect, which has posed as the biggest security threat in Nigeria's north, was responsible for the attack.
The sect has launched violent attacks in Adamawa and other states in the volatile region in the past.
A state of emergency declared in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states by President Goodluck Jonathan was extended last month by the Nigerian parliament following ongoing attacks by Boko Haram insurgents.
More than 200 girls from Chibok community in Borno were abducted in April. Boko Haram claimed responsibility and threatened to sell the girls.
Thousands of people have been killed since the sect launched its insurgency in 2009. It seeks to enshrine Islamic sharia law in the constitution and has declared war on Western education.