LAGOS, May 20 (Xinhua) -- Nigerian security agencies have confirmed the death of 46 people in the twin bomb blasts that hit the Terminus Market in the central city of Jos on Tuesday afternoon.
Police Commissioner Chris Olakpe told reporters 45 people were injured.
According to him, the first bomber came in a fiat bus and parked at the market's central business area. The second blast happened 100 meters away from the first and that one was contained in a Siena bus, the police chief added.
He said the casualty figures were collated after visits to Plateau Specialist Hospital and Bingham Hospital, Jos.
"Like I told you, there should be more because we have not gone to the new and old Jos University Teaching Hospitals," he said.
Olakpe said that the market had been cordoned off and directed members of the public to steer clear of it in their own interest.
"Men of our anti-bomb unit will comb the market before it is declared safe for business activities to continue,'' he said.
He advised members of the public to always avoid the temptation to rush to bomb scenes, adding that people around such scenes should quickly lie down for "at least 30 minutes" before scurrying to safety.
The police chief advised Nigerians to be security conscious in every environment they found themselves.
"We also expect people to promptly report any suspicious character to the security agencies," he added.
It was not clear whether Boko Haram, a terror group operating in the northern part of Nigeria since 2009, had a hand in the explosions. The group had claimed responsibility for some recent bombings in the West African country.
Tuesday's bombings occurred barely 48 hours after an explosion hit a Christian-dominated area in Nigeria's northern city of Kano on Sunday night, killing five people, according to state officials.
Nigeria is currently grappling with security challenges, one of which is the insurgency of Boko Haram, which seeks to enshrine the Islamic Sharia law in the constitution.