Africa  

Nigerian military says no foreign operation by allies

English.news.cn   2014-05-11 17:14:43            

LAGOS, May 11 (Xinhua) -- There has been no arrest or operation by any foreign military or security allies in the ongoing efforts to rescue the abducted girls in northeast Nigeria, the Nigerian military said on Sunday.

Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, spokesperson for the West African nation's Defense Headquarters (DHQ), said in a statement reaching Xinhua that there had not also been any arrest or operation in the conduct of the ongoing counter terrorist campaign in Nigeria as reported by national dailies and was currently being circulated on- line.

The statement said contrary to the reports and the pictures being circulated to illustrate the claims, there had been no incident or record as reported.

The military said the pictures being circulated to illustrate the claims in the story were not related to the situation in Nigeria as they were taken from scenes in other countries.

"Indeed, no troop of the American Marines has so far been deployed in any part of Nigeria as is being circulated in certain media," it said.

"There is therefore no need to engage in misleading speculations while the mission is in progress," the statement added.

According to the statement, the public will be duly briefed on the areas of collaboration with allied forces in the mission to bring back the girls as the need arises.

Countries like China, Britain, the United States, Canada, has indicated their interest to advise and support the country in its response to the abduction of over 200 school girls.

About 200 girls from Chibok community in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State were abducted in April. On Monday, militant group Boko Haram has reportedly claimed responsibility for the abduction and threatened to sell the girls.

Editor: Fu Peng
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011100001333255751