KINSHASA, Dec. 30 (Xinhua) -- The international airport at DR Congo's capital Kinshasa resumed operation after clash happened earlier Monday, said Xinhua reporter on site.
"The first flight after the gunfight in the morning had already taken off, and the operation of the airport resumed," said the reporter.
Clashes happened Monday morning in DR Congo's capital Kinshasa have almost come to an end, and the government has had the situation under control, according to the reporter.
At least 40 attackers who took part in multiple gunfights in the city were killed, said a government source.
Earlier report said attackers took hostages at the Congolese national TV (TRNC), and fired guns at the international airport and a military headquarters.
Xinhua reporter witnessed over 20 dead gunmen, ten of which killed at TRNC headquarters by government forces who reseized control of the TV station after gunfight and arrested about a dozen.
Unidentified source said there are similar attacks in eastern mining city of Lubumbashi.
Video>>>Rebel group attack kills 40 in eastern Congo
UN mission in DR Congo launches attack on rebels amid reports of civilian killing
KINSHASA, Dec. 26 (Xinhua) -- The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) on Thursday confirmed attacks on rebels in the eastern province of North Kivu amid reports of 40 civilians killed this week.
In a statement, the UN mission MONUSCO said its helicopters raided the Ugandan rebels ADF-NALU on Wednesday and regained control of the positions seized by rebels, who were linked to the killing of 40 or so civilians in the village of Kamango bordering Uganda. Full story