Africa  

450 people allowed at Mandela's burial site: S. African gov't

English.news.cn   2013-12-15 03:06:00            

The hearse transfers the coffin of former South African President Nelson Mandela from Mthatha airport to Qunu village in Eastern Cape, South Africa, Dec. 14, 2013. The body of former South African President Nelson Mandela will be transferred to Qunu village Saturday. A state funeral will be held in Qunu on Sunday, where Mandela spent much of his childhood.(Xinhua/Meng Chenguang)

CAPE TOWN, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- About 450 these guests will be allowed at the burial site during former South African president Nelson Mandela's funeral, the government said on Saturday.

These people, including Mandela's family members, have been accredited to move to the actual burial site where the AbaThembu clan will conduct a traditional ceremony, Minister in the President Collins Chabane said in the update about preparations for the state funeral.

Most of the people attending the funeral will not be able to go to the burial site, Chabane said.

The arrangements that are in place at the Mandela family homestead in Qunu, Eastern Cape make provision for about 4,500 people to attend Sunday's State Funeral Service in a marquee on the family property.

The funeral service will be broadcast live on television to allow millions of people both in South Africa and around the globe a chance to follow Mandela's final journey to his resting place.

"We appeal for respect for the former President's final resting place and for all to be sensitive to this culturally significant site of the AbaThembu clan," Chabane said.

Mandela's body, flown from Pretoria to Qunu earlier in the day, will be in his bedroom on the second floor of his homestead for the night.

Mandela, South Africa's first democratically elected black president, died of illness at his Johannesburg home on Dec. 5 at the age of 95.

Related:

In pictures: Mandela's body transferred to Qunu village in Eastern Cape

Tutu not invited for Mandela's funeral: S. African gov't

CAPE TOWN, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- The South African government confirmed on Saturday that it did not send any invitation to Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu to attend former president Nelson Mandela's funeral, as it did not send any invitation to anybody.

"We would like to indicate that government issued no invitation to any guest. Neither the Presidency nor the Department of International Relations and Cooperation issued invitations to any guests," Minister Collins Chabane said in the update about preparations for Mandela's funeral in Qunu, Eastern Cape on Sunday. Full Story

Mandela's body-viewing ceremony ends amid disappointment

PRETORIA, Dec. 13 (Xinhua) -- The three-day body viewing of late former South African President Nelson Mandela ended in Pretoria on Friday with over 100,000 people estimated to have paid homage to the anti-apartheid icon.

However, thousands failed to see Mandela's body due to the extremely high volumes of people queuing to bid him farewell at the Union Buildings. Full Story

Grand Mandela memorial service held in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, Dec. 10 (Xinhua) -- The South African government on Tuesday held the national memorial service here, honoring the late anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.

Braving the pouring rain and chilly wind, some 100,000 mouring people gathered at the First National Bank (FNB) Stadium in Johannesburg. Full Story


 

Editor: Mengjie
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011100001329683351