NAROK, Kenya, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- At least five people were buried alive and one rescued with serious injuries in a quarry collapse in the southwest of Kenya, local medics and witnesses reported on Friday.
The six were mining sand at Tulwetab Mosonik quarry in Bomet County when the accident occurred early in the day, four years after a similar tragedy in the same area.
The upper part of the deeply excavated sand quarry collapsed sending large boulders to cover the miners who were scooping sand from a deeper side of the mine.
The rescue team saved a man who had been trapped in the rubble of the collapsed quarry for two hours. Doctors said the survivor was in stable but serious condition.
They said he had suffered fractures in various parts of the body including legs, arms and back due to heavy rubble which fell on him.
An eyewitness Julius Koech said they were preparing to start mining sand when walls at the quarry started falling.
"I was basking in the sun a few meters from the quarry and had to run for my dear life when the walls started falling," Koech told Xinhua.
"Seven of us were at the site which collapsed and I only escape because I was feeling some cold and went a few meters to bask in the sun and all my colleagues were buried," he added.
Koech said his colleagues who were in a deeper side of the miner were caught up in the rubble before they could move out.
National Assembly Deputy Speaker Joyce Laboso, who visited the scene, described the incident as tragic and very unfortunate saying it could have been averted if miners would have followed the safety precautions.
The incident happened at a time when the county government was moving to stop quarrying activities for the safety of miners.