TRIPOLI, Oct. 7 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry admitted on Monday that Libyan authorities have not been informed of a counter-terrorism operation carried out by U.S. troops in Libya to capture an alleged al-Qaida leader Anas al-Liby, suspected in American embassies' bombings in East Africa in 1998.
Speaking at a joint press conference with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of 2013 APEC meeting in Indonesia, Kerry said "The Libyan authorities have not been reported previously in this operation."
However, Kerry stressed that "The United States is doing everything possible and everything appropriate and legal to eliminate the terrorist threat."
He added that Anas al-Liby was a "legal target" and he would face justice in a court of law."
The Pentagon's chief spokesman George Little said Saturday that al-Liby "is currently lawfully detained by the U.S. military in a secure location outside of Libya."
Four cars surrounded his house in Tripoli while he was returning from the dawn prayer and captured him, according to Liby 's son who eyewitnessed his father's capture.
On Sunday, prime minister of the Libyan interim government, Ali Zeidan, demanded clarifications from U.S. officials on the military operation carried out in Tripoli. Zeidan underlined that Libyan nationals should be tried in their own country.
Liby, 49, is believed to have been one of the masterminds behind the 1998 U.S. embassy attacks, which killed more than 220 people in Kenya and Tanzania. He has been indicted in a New York court in connection with the attacks.
WASHINGTON, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Pentagon has confirmed that U.S. military conducted a "successful" operation Saturday in Libya to capture longtime al-Qaida member Abu Anas al Libi, who was behind the bombings of U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya in 1998.
"He (Libi) is currently lawfully detained under the law of war in a secure location outside of Libya," Pentagon spokesman George Little said in a statement Sunday. Full Story
WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 (Xinhua) -- Pentagon confirmed Saturday that U.S. military were involved in an operation in Somalia against a terrorist of the al-Shabaab, which is responsible for the recent deadly attack at a shopping mall in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi.
Pentagon spokesman George Little said in a statement that he can confirm that U.S. military personnel were involved in the overnight operation against a known al-Shabaab terrorist on Friday. He did not reveal further details, including the name of the targeted terrorist. Full Story