TRIPOLI, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- The Libyan Chief of Staff organized on Sunday a mourning ceremony for 16 soldiers killed on Saturday's raid at a military checkpoint, 150 km southeast of the capital Tripoli.
The Libyan Defense Minister Abdullah al Thani and head of the Chief of Staff Abdal Salam Al Obeidi attended the memorial ceremony where they faced anger of the victims's families.
The relatives of the soldiers blame the authorities of negligence to provide the necessary security measures. They demanded the Libyan institutions representatives not to participate the mourning and only allowed the military personnel of the national army and the Department of Defense to take part in the military parade.
The military parade included a large display of infantry and an overflight of Libyan military fighter jets.
In the end of the ceremony, the Defense Minister al Thani said "We will not relent in the pursuit of criminals and arrest them and will not discourage our soldiers to take actions against the threats to the security of our country."
Gunmen attacked a Libyan check point on the highway linking the two towns Tarhouna and Bani Walid, southeast of the capital Tripoli, on Saturday. The attackers rode vehicles mounted with machine guns.
The official said the attack took place at Wishtata area, some 60 km from the entrance to Bani Walid. The town was one of the last strongholds for supporters of dictator Moammar Gadhafi in the country's 2011 civil war, and was besieged again by pro-government militias last year.
The Libyan government declared a national mourning for three days in honor of the military victims.
The spokesman of the Joint Security Committee Essam Naas told Xinhua that two suspects involved in killing the 16 soldiers are lawfully detained in Tripoli.