NAIROBI, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- Sporadic gunfire and blast could be heard at dawn from Nairobi mall after long hours of silence, Xinhua reporters said, an indication that the siege that started on Saturday is not over.
Gunfire erupted at around 6:20 a.m. at the shopping mall where 62 people are killed by gunmen who carried out the shooting spree around Saturday noon.
The fresh fight between Kenyan security forces and gunmen broke the silence that persisted for hours over night which caused speculation that the siege of the mall might have ended.
Kenyan interior ministry said on Monday night in official twitter handle that "We are in control of #Westgate."
"Our forces are combing the mall floor by floor looking for anyone left behind. We believe all hostages have been released," it said.
In the morning update on twitter, the ministry said "Westgate remains a crime scene, keep off the area. Roads leading to this mall have been cordoned off."
It is still uncertain that how many gunmen are still fighting inside the mall. The government said earlier that there were 10 to 15 gunmen.