UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Wednesday condemned the killing of a Tanzanian peacekeeper and the wounding of ten others during renewed clashes in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) earlier on the same day.
"The Secretary-General deplores in the strongest terms the killing and wounding of UN peacekeepers," said a statement issued on Wednesday night by Ban's spokesperson.
The attack occurred as the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) supported action by the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) to protect civilian-populated areas of Goma, the statement said.
The UN chief offered his sincere condolences and sympathy to their families and to the governments of the United Republic of Tanzania.
"The United Nations remains committed to taking all necessary actions in line with Security Council resolution 2098 (2013) to protect civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo," said the statement.
MONUSCO on Wednesday supported the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) in launching an attack against M23 positions on the Kibati heights, north of Goma, in North Kivu, said a UN spokesperson, who added that M23 has been using these positions to shell populated areas.
The Mission has delivered mortar and artillery fire and engaged its attack helicopters, with the FARDC has used attack helicopters, battle tanks and ground forces. The operation is still ongoing, according to the spokesperson.
Tensions in the region have been increasing recently as the M23 publicly decried the deployment of an intervention brigade within MONUSCO and broke off the so-called Kampala peace talks with the DRC government.
The deployment of an intervention brigade within MONUSCO was authorized by the UN Security Council in March to carry out targeted offensive operations, with or without the Congolese national army, against armed groups that threaten peace in the eastern DRC.