Africa  

Death toll hits 39 in central Nigeria's clash

English.news.cn   2013-05-05 01:31:31            
 • The death toll of Friday's clash between two local groups in Nigeria's Taraba State has hit 39.
 • A spokesperson told reporters that 30 persons had been arrested in connection with the crisis.
 • According to him, the situation is relatively calm at the moment as officers have been deployed.


JALINGO, Nigeria, May 4 (Xinhua) -- The death toll of Friday's clash between two local groups in central north Nigeria's Taraba State has hit 39, a senior police officer said on Saturday.

State police spokesperson Joseph Kwali told reporters in Jalingo, the state capital, that 39 people were killed and 30 injured in a fresh crisis that rocked Wukari on Friday.

Kwaji added that the injured persons were receiving treatment in various hospitals in the town, adding that about 30 houses were burnt by hoodlums.

The spokesperson told reporters that 30 persons had been arrested in connection with the crisis.

According to him, the situation is relatively calm at the moment as officers have been deployed to the area.

Local residents and witnesses had earlier told Xinhua that the crisis claimed 30 lives, but the state government said in a statement issued in Jalingo that 10 people were killed and several others injured during the crisis.

Violence was ignited by an attempt by the Muslim community at Karofi area in the ancient city of Wukari town to prevent some traditionalists who were on procession as part of burial rites for a deceased traditional Chief.

Related:

UN Human Rights Office concerned about large casualties in Nigeria

UNITED NATIONS, May 3 (Xinhua) -- The UN Human Rights Office on Friday expressed its concern about the large number of casualties, reportedly including many civilians, and massive destruction of houses and property, as well as displacement that has taken place over the past few weeks in Nigeria.

"The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) called on the Nigerian government to make sure its efforts to achieve security are in full compliance with human rights principles," said UN spokesman Martin Nesirky here at a daily news briefing. Full story

Nigerian military kills Boko Haram commander

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria April 27 (Xinhua) -- Nigerian military said it killed a Boko Haram commander, Mohammed Chad, on Saturday in the northeast city of Maiduguri during an operation coordinated and executed by security agents. Spokesman of the military-led Joint Task Force (JTF), Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said in a statement reaching Xinhua that the late Chad was linked to many terrorist attacks in Borno and other states in the recent past.

"A special operation was conducted at Ruwan-Zafi area of Maiduguri by troops of the JTF and operatives of the State Security Services (SSS)," he added. Full story

Editor: Bi Mingxin
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011106331323596321