MAPUTO, March 20 (Xinhua) -- The Mozambican Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Henrique Banze said on Wednesday that the number of entry visas issued to Portuguese to go to Mozambique so far this year has increased four times, compared to that in the same period of last year.
"There are a lot of Portuguese citizens requesting visas to Mozambique but there is no problem issuing visas as long as people who request fulfill the necessary requirements," said Banze.
Banze made the remarks after a meeting with the secretary of the Portuguese Speaking Countries Community, José Cesário who ended his 3-day visit to Mozambique which he rated as positive.
The two government officials depreciated rumors that there are conflicts in issuing visas to Mozambique. The rumors started this year when Mozambican authorities repatriated about 27 Portuguese citizens soon after they landed in the Maputo international airport for failing to justify their visit to Mozambique. Most of them only possessed one way ticket and could not tell the authorities where they were going to stay and work.
Mozambique, the former colony of Portugal, has been a preference since the crisis is affecting the European country. Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho has encouraged Portuguese investors to seek opportunities in the former colonies as a mean of mitigating the impact of the crisis.
On the other hand, Portugal is among the list of the 10 best investors in Mozambique with a strong presence in the sectors of construction, tourism and services.
Cesário said Portugal has a lot of interest in continuing to collaborate with Mozambique towards its development while Banze defended that he expects the Mozambican economy to have a significant contribution from Portugal.