KANO, Nigeria, March 19 (Xinhua) -- The police in northwest Nigeria's Kano State on Tuesday confirmed that 22 people were killed and 65 others sustained variou degrees of injury in an explosion at a motor park in Sabon-Gari area of the city on Monday evening.
State Commissioner of police Musa Daura told Xinhua that five commercial luxury buses plying inter-state routes were affected in the suicide bomb attack at the New Road Motor Park.
He said the two suicide bombers involved in the attack were among the people confirmed dead.
"The two suicide bombers drove a blue colour Volkswagen Golf car and hit a fully-loaded luxury bus heading to Lagos. All the injured persons were taken to various hospitals within the metropolis for treatment, while corpses were deposited in a nearby morgue," the senior official added.
However, the state chairman for the Ohaneze Ndigbo group, Tobias Idika told Xinhua that up to 60 persons were killed as five luxury buses were burnt to ashes in the attack.
Idika said he saw an entire bus went up in flame with many of the victims inside the vehicle.
In his account of the story, the bomb went off when a Lagos- bound luxury bus, loaded with passengers, was about to leave the park.
Frequent attacks have been recorded in Kano State, the most populous area in northern Nigeria, which has a large number of residents who are Christians.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attacks.