Africa  

Dozens feared killed in Northern Nigeria motor park blast

English.news.cn   2013-03-19 04:07:10            
 • A suicide car bomber detonated himself in Nigeria's Kano Monday with dozens of people feared dead.
 • State Chairman for the Ohanaeze Ndigbo group Tobias Idika said up to 60 persons were killed.
 • No group has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.

 

KANO, Nigeria, March 18 (Xinhua) -- A suicide car bomber detonated himself in Nigeria's northern city of Kano on Monday, with dozens of people feared dead in the attack, local residents and military spokesperson told Xinhua.

State Chairman for the Ohanaeze Ndigbo group Tobias Idika said up to 60 persons were killed and five luxury buses were burnt to ashes.

Idika said the entire bus went up in flame with many of the victims inside the vehicle.

The bomb went off when a Lagos-bound luxury bus, loaded with passengers, was about to leave the park, Idika said.

But the Joint Security Task Force (JTF) spokesman, Captain Ikedichi Iweha, said he would not rush to release casualty figures.

A security source told Xinhua a suicide bomber, who had positioned their Golf car, primed with explosives between a Gobison Luxury bus and another vehicle before detonating the explosives the moment the driver of the bus was about to move.

Some of the injured victims had amputated arms and limbs, resulting from the severe impact of the explosions.

The scene of the blast was cordoned off by JTF men to pave way for the evacuation of both the injured and the slain victims, who were taken to the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Mortuary.

Frequent attacks have been recorded in Kano State, a highly populated city in Nigeria. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.

Related:

Several killed in Boko Haram attack on northern Nigeria schools

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, March 18 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's Boko Haram sect on Monday attacked three public schools in the restive northern city of Maiduguri, where four people were killed and three others were injured, the military said.

A teacher was killed and three students were critically injured from bullet wounds. "Three of the attackers were killed by security troops in another attack on a school," the spokesman of the Joint Task Force, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa, said in a statement.  Full story


Editor: Yang Lina
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011108171322435941