ABUJA, March 13 (Xinhua) -- The Nigerian government on Wednesday explained why it is still keeping mum on the seven foreign nationals abducted in northeast Bauchi state and claimed to be killed by one of the terrorist groups in the Northern Nigeria, Ansaru.
Minister of Interior Abba Moro told reporters in Abuja that the government decision was aimed to avoid jumping into wrong conclusions especially since the matter was a diplomatic one.
The minister said government will officially comment on the issue when investigation into the claims by an Islamist sect, Ansaru, that it killed the seven foreign nationals have been concluded.
The sect had on Saturday released a video in which they claimed that they have killed the seven foreign construction workers.
While the home governments of the slain victims have spoken on the matter, the Nigerian government had so far not reacted to the incident.
Moro said the government refrained from speaking on the issue because the true situation of things has not been confirmed.
On Friday, Ansaru said they had killed seven foreign hostages working with the Lebanese Setraco construction firm in the northeastern state of Bauchi.
A Briton, a Greek, an Italian and four Lebanese were kidnapped by the sect on Feb. 17.
The sect claimed it killed the hostages because of attempts by British and Nigerian authorities to rescue them.