CAIRO, Jan. 29 (Xinhua) -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi in the national dialogue late Monday renewed his invitation to the main opposition bloc (NSF) which earlier refused to participate in the meeting, official Ahram website reported Tuesday.
During the four-hour long Egyptian national dialogue, Morsi said "I am ready to communicate personally with the leaders and members of the NSF and reinvite them to a dialogue," according to the report.
The NSF refused the president's call for the dialogue as it ignored the front's main demands for forming a national unity government and amending the constitution, said the NSF at a press conference.
"We don't refuse the dialogue with the presidency in general, but we refuse the dialogues that won't benefit the Egyptian people, " said Hamdeen Sabahy, a leading member of NSF.
Based on the dialogue, a legal political committee to study and prepare the document over the controversial articles of the newly drafted constitution will be formed, including five members of politicians and another five from legal and constitution field.
The participants in the dialogue chose six members for drafting the document, and left the other four to the NSF to choose.
Another four internal committees will be formed, respectively in charge of political, economic, media and security affairs.
More details about the dialogue will be announced at a press conference on Tuesday.
Due to the tense political conditions which left more than 50 dead and almost 2,000 injured over the past four days, Morsi issued on Sunday a statement that invited 11 parties and some independent figures for dialogue on Monday, including al-Dostour Party, the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, al-Wafd Party, Strong Egypt Party and others.
Morsi also decided Sunday to impose a 30-day curfew and a state of emergency on Port Said, Suez and Ismailia after bloody clashes between anti-government protestors and securities in the three governorates.
However, a lot of anti-government protesters took to the streets and violated the curfew despite of the deployed armed forces.
CAIRO, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in recent clashes in Egypt's riot-stricken Port Said governorate has risen to 42, while the total number of injured people has exceeded 1,000, medics said late Monday.
Official sources said a few hours ago that the death toll was 40, but another two were just reported to have been shot dead, raising the number to 42. Full story
CAIRO, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- Although some analysts see that the current situation in Egypt requires a solution besides the national dialogue, the opposition National Salvation Front's (NSF) refusal to the president's invitation for dialogue was predicted to add to the political perplexity.
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi announced Sunday to invite 11 parties, including Al-Dostour Party headed by NSF leader Mohamed Elbaradei, the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, al- Wafd Party and Strong Egypt Party, to the dialogue held on Monday. Full story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi imposed Sunday a curfew and a state of emergency in the turmoil- stricken Port Said governorate, as well as Suez and Ismailia, due to the ongoing bloody clashes there.
"I asserted earlier that if I had to, I would take any extraordinary measures to stop bloodshed, preserve security and protect the citizens," Morsi said in a televised speech Sunday evening, adding that the curfew in the three governorates would last 30 days, starting from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. of the following day. Full story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- A real comprehensive national dialogue with clear agenda, practical mechanisms and guarantees for implementation of its agreement could ease the tense political scene in Egypt, which was engulfed by violent clashes over the past few days.Full Story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- At least seven were killed and 630 others injured on Sunday in Egypt's seaside city of Port Said during a funeral for the victims of Saturday's clashes between security forces and angry protesters, official Nile TV and medical sources said.Full Story
Jan. 28, 2013
Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi imposed Sunday a curfew and a state of emergency in the turmoil- stricken Port Said governorate, as well as Suez and Ismailia, due to the ongoing bloody clashes there. Full story
Jan. 27, 2013
At least seven were killed and 630 others injured on Sunday in Egypt's seaside city of Port Said during a funeral for the victims of Saturday's clashes between security forces and angry protesters, official Nile TV and medical sources said.Full story
Jan. 26, 2013
As many as 31 people were killed and 322 others injured in clashes in Egypt's Port Said over a football riot verdict that sentenced 21 people to death, according to the figure reported on Sunday.Full story
Feb. 1, 2012
The death toll of a football match riot in Egypt's Port Said rose to 74 with hundreds of others injured, state media reported on Wednesday night.Full story