Africa  

16 killed in clashes after death sentence over Egypt's Port Said massacre

English.news.cn   2013-01-26 20:36:20            
 • Sixteen people were killed in clashes that erupted Saturday outside Port Said prison.
 • Families of the convicts violently attempted to break into the prison where they are detained.
 • Security forces responded by firing tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Families of the victims of Al-Ahli fans react in court after the Port Said Criminal Court ordered death sentence for 21 defendants over the Port Said massacre, which killed more than 70 in last February, in Cairo, capital of Egypt, on Jan. 26, 2013. Seven people were killed and 70 injured in clashes that erupted Saturday outside an Egyptian prison between security forces and family members of 21 convicts who were sentenced to death over the Port Said massacre. (Xinhua/Str)

CAIRO, Jan. 26 (Xinhua) -- Sixteen people were killed and some 200 injured in clashes that erupted Saturday outside Port Said prison between security forces and family members of 21 convicts who were sentenced to death over the Port Said massacre, state TV reported.

After the Port Said Criminal Court on Saturday ordered death sentence for 21 defendants over the massacre, which killed more than 70 in February last year, families of the convicts violently attempted to break into the prison where they are detained. Security forces responded by firing tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Seventy-three defendants, including nine top security officials, were arrested after tragic riots at Port Said Stadium following a soccer match between Port Said's al-Masry and Cairo's al-Ahly teams.

"The final verdict for the rest 52 of them will be announced on March 9," said Sobhy Abdel-Meguid, presiding judge of Port Said Criminal Court, which was held in Cairo for security reasons.

While the situation was inflamed in Port Said, thousands of Cairo-based soccer fans dubbed "Ultras Ahlawy" expressed overwhelming happiness after Saturday's verdict. The fans, who had vowed earlier to die for the retaliation for their murdered fellows, celebrated the court decision in front of their club and then moved to Tahrir square.

One lawyer of the soccer riot victims said following Saturday's court decision that "Our sons' rights have been restored."

Families of the soccer riot victims have called for public execution, saying that "our son's blood wasn't wasted."

Riot and disturbance acts spread near the hospital where the injured were transferred, as some families of the victims set fire to the accommodation house of police officers.

The army forces were deployed in Port Said to restore stability, official news agency MENA reported, adding that the Railways Association has decided to halt trains from entering Port Said.

In a statement, Egyptian army's chief of general staff Ousamah Rousdy called the army soldiers to stick to self-restraint in dealing with citizens.

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has discussed with justice and communication ministers and chief of national security apparatus means of controlling the violence. He also cancelled his visit to Ethiopia for the African Summit due to the clashes.

Mohamed El-Baradie, a former diplomat and leader of Egypt's main opposition bloc "National Salvation Front," said on his twitter account that "balance won't be restored in Egypt until a political solution starts with transparency, accountability and national salvation government to regain security and revive economy."

Another report said Saturday that clashes between protesters and security forces in the nationwide demonstrations marking the second anniversary of Egypt's political upheaval have killed nine and injured 584.

Related:

Egyptian court orders death sentence for 21 defendants in Port Said massacre

CAIRO, Jan. 26 (Xinhua) -- The Cairo Criminal Court on Saturday ordered death sentence for 21 defendants over Port Said massacre which killed more than 70 in February last year.

Seventy-three defendants, including nine top security officials, were arrested after a tragedy clash at Port Said Stadium during a match between Port Said's al-Masry and Cairo's al-Ahly soccer teams. Full story

Egyptian angry soccer fans vow to die for "martyrs of Port Said massacre"

CAIRO, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- On the eve of the second anniversary of Egypt's Jan. 25 "uprising", angry soccer fans dubbed "Ultras Ahlawy" vowed to die in retaliation for over 70 fellow fans who were killed in early February last year in a stampede at Port Said Stadium after a match between Port Said's al-Masry and Cairo's al- Ahly.

"Jan. 26 will be a decisive day in the lives of many people, and it may be the end of the lives of other people who seek the right even if it costs them their souls," the Ultras, who refuse to talk to media outlets, said in a statement Thursday posted on their Facebook page. Full story

   1 2 3   

Editor: Fang Yang
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011108211321300121