Africa  

Mali army capture northern towns as regional bloc mulls for rapid military deployment

English.news.cn   2013-01-19 04:13:05            
 • The Malian government forces, backed with French bombardments, retook the town of Diabaly Friday.
 • France intervened a week ago to launch air raids on rebels who briefly seized Konna.
 • The recapture of Diabaly on Friday marks the second major victory for the Malian-French troops.

 

BAMAKO, Jan. 18 (Xinhua) -- The Malian government forces, backed with French bombardments, retook the town of Diabaly, about 360 km northeast of Bamako, on Friday, the second victory after they captured Konna in further north on Thursday, security sources said.

After two days of fierce fighting, supported by airstrikes by French troops, the Malian army entered Diabaly, a small town near Niono, as the rebels abandoned the town that they seized on Monday.

The Malian authorities have officially declared control of the central town of Konna after days of fierce battle with Al-Qaida- linked rebels.

Both the army and state television announced the control on Thursday night to spark jubilation among Malians, especially in Konna, which changed hands in the fight to stop northern rebels from a southward push.

Speaking on television, lieutenant-colonel Diarran Kone, the communication adviser in Mali's Defense Ministry, said the town was under the control of the army and that French forces were absent in a strategic move.

France intervened a week ago to launch air raids on rebels who briefly seized Konna from retreating Malian soldiers. The bombardments forced rebels to flee out of town and fightings lasted for days.

A Malian soldier, who did not wish to be named, said there was heavy fighting between the army and rebels from Wednesday night to Thursday morning, adding that there were heavy losses of lives and materials on the side of rebels.

The recapture of Diabaly on Friday marks the second major victory for the Malian-French troops since they launched military operations against the rebels last week.

The rebels who attacked the town of Diabaly were believed supporters of al Qaida's North African wing AQIM (al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb), who apparently made reprisals following French airstrikes against their brothers in Konna.

AQIM together with home-grown Malian groups Ansar Dine and MUJWA have put up staunch resistance against the government offensives.

Ansar Dine, which experts say has links to local al Qaida factions, is a Tuareg-led Islamist group and MUJWA, (The Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa) is formed in 2011, which has imposed strict sharia law in Gao, the main city of the north of Mali.

The three groups have seized several major towns in the northern part of Mali in the aftermath of a military coup in March 2012.

With the concern of security in the region, the UN Security Council passed a resolution in December 2012, authorizing the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to lead an International Support Mission for Mali (MISMA) to intervene.

A ministerial meeting of the ECOWAS opened Friday in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, to examine the conditions for "rapid" deployment of regional troops to Mali.

"We should ensure rapid deployment of the ECOWAS troops to reinforce the operation by the French and Malian forces," said Charles Koffi Diby, Cote d'Ivoire's foreign minister.

France intervened last week, vowing to increase troops in its former colony to more than 2,000 to fight alongside the Malian army.

Diby told the ministerial meeting that participants will deepen discussions on the need to establish a formal timetable for the action plan and define a clear mandate for the MISMA.

"The involvement of France reminds us of the need to rapidly play our role," he said.

ECOWAS is expected to send a contingent of 3,300 troops. Nigeria has promised to mobilize 900 soldiers. Togo, Senegal, Niger and Burkina Faso have each pledged 500 soldiers. Benin will send 300 officers.

Chad, a non-ECOWAS country, has also offered to provide 2,000 officers.

"All ECOWAS and African countries are encouraged to be involved in this war which requires the support of everyone in terms of human resource, logistics, techniques, health and information sharing," Cote d'Ivoire's foreign minister said.

The ministerial meeting is a warm-up to the emergency summit of the 15-member bloc set for Saturday in Abidjan to discuss the Malian crisis.

Related:

Mali crisis has led to human rights violations, says UN report

UNITED NATIONS, Jan. 18 (Xinhua) -- A new United Nations report says that the crisis in Mali has led to various human rights violations, including extrajudicial killings, rape and torture, both in the North, and in the area under government control, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters here Friday.

The report by the Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (HCHR), which was requested by the UN Human Rights Council, presents the findings of a human rights mission deployed to Mali, Burkina Faso, Mauritania and Niger from November 11 to 20, 2012, Nesirky said at a daily news briefing here.  Full story

UN multidisplinary force deploying in Mali: spokesman

UNITED NATIONS, Jan. 18 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations is deploying a multidisciplinary force, with the arrival of its advance team in the Malian capital of Bamako on Saturday to help Mali with the efforts to restore constitutional order and territorial integrity in the West African country, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters here Friday.

"In continuation of UN efforts to assist with the restoration of the constitutional order and territorial integrity of Mali, the multidisciplinary presence called for in Security Council resolution 2085 is deploying with the arrival in Bamako of an advance team on Saturday and the start of its consultations with the Malian Authorities on Monday, 21 January," Nesirky said at a daily news briefing here.  Full story

 

Editor: Yang Lina
分享
Related News
Home >> Africa            
010020070750000000000000011108171242515131