BENGHAZI, Libya, Jan. 12 (Xinhua) -- The Italian consul in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi on Saturday survived unharmed an ambush by a group of militants who opened fire to his bullet-proof car, leaving the vehicle damaged, local security source told Xinhua.
The gunmen shot at his car when the consul, Guido de Sanctis, was on his way to his residence, a police chief in Benghazi told Xinhua on condition of anonymity, adding that no one was injured in the gun attack.
The police officer further said that Guido de Sanctis then reported the case to the police station and an investigation into the attack has been launched.
No one has claimed responsibility of the attack yet.
Last year, Benghazi witnessed a deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission that killed U.S. ambassador to Libya along with three other embassy staffers.