KINSHASA, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) -- The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) is set to resume talks with the M23 rebel group on Friday in the Ugandan capital Kampala, according to official sources.
Negotiations suspended on Dec. 21, 2012 amid accusations from both sides in the run-up to the new year.
On Thursday, Francois Mwamba Tshishimbi, the head of the government delegation, confirmed the schedule for talks.
"We shall examine what has been executed and what remains to be done in order to resolve issues that prompted some of our brothers to take up arms," he said.
Tshishimbi said the two parties had already agreed on the ground rules before the start of the first round of negotiations.
He noted that the first round of negotiations went on well and expressed hope that the remaining issues will be resolved faster.
The talks between the government and the rebels began on Dec. 9 2012 in the Congolese capital Kinshasa under the auspices of the 11-member International Conference on the Great Lakes Region.
The bloc has met several times since M23 surfaced in April 2012 in DR Congo's eastern province of North Kivu, where a similar rebellion rocked the Great Lakes region between 2008 and 2009.
M23 fighters are part of rebels integrated by the national army under an agreement signed on March 23, 2009. They took up arms again complaining about failure by the government to fulfill the agreement.