ISLAMABAD, April 3 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan on Monday summoned an Indian envoy over a recent cross-border firing that killed one civilian, the Foreign Ministry said.
The Director General on the South Asian desk at the Foreign Ministry Mohammad Faisal summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner J.P. Singh and condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violation by the Indian forces along the Line of Control(LoC) in Kashmir on April 1, a statement said.
The statement said an 18-year old civilian Muhammad Attique Qureshi was killed in the firing at Chirikot sector.
"The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed condemnable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws," it said.
The Director General urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 Ceasefire Understanding, investigate this and other incidents of ceasefire violations, instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC.
The latest incident happened as escalation along the LoC, which divides the two neighbors in the disputed Kashmir, has been seen since a militant attack on an army center in the Indian-controlled Kashmir on Sept. 18 last year killed 19 soldiers.
The Indian military blamed the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad group for the attack and also pointed fingers at Pakistan.
Islamabad rejected the charges and suggested an independent investigation.