Over 100 immigrants force way into Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta

Source: Xinhua   2016-04-24 19:16:10

MADRID, April 24 (Xinhua) -- Over 100 sub-Saharan immigrants forced their way into the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on Sunday morning, Spanish TV network RTVE reported.

The estimated 120 immigrants were able to make their way around one of the breakwaters which separates Ceuta from Morocco at 10:15 a.m. local time.

Moroccan security forces prevented a second group of immigrants crossing into the area. Six people needed hospital treatment.

Those who were able to make their way into Ceuta were detained by Spanish security forces on rocks close to the shore, while the Red Cross sent ambulances to the area.

Some of the immigrants showed clear signs of fatigue and needed help to reach the ambulances. About 30 received emergency treatment on the beach.

The government delegate in Ceuta said that the exact number of immigrants who had been able to reach Ceuta was still not clear, but added that they will stay in the enclave's Temporary Residency for Immigrants which is currently housing 603 people.

It is the first mass attempt to force their way into Ceuta since January 4 when around 250 immigrants tried to reach Spanish soil, but their efforts were frustrated by Moroccan security forces.

Editor: chenwen
Related News
Xinhuanet

Over 100 immigrants force way into Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta

Source: Xinhua 2016-04-24 19:16:10

MADRID, April 24 (Xinhua) -- Over 100 sub-Saharan immigrants forced their way into the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on Sunday morning, Spanish TV network RTVE reported.

The estimated 120 immigrants were able to make their way around one of the breakwaters which separates Ceuta from Morocco at 10:15 a.m. local time.

Moroccan security forces prevented a second group of immigrants crossing into the area. Six people needed hospital treatment.

Those who were able to make their way into Ceuta were detained by Spanish security forces on rocks close to the shore, while the Red Cross sent ambulances to the area.

Some of the immigrants showed clear signs of fatigue and needed help to reach the ambulances. About 30 received emergency treatment on the beach.

The government delegate in Ceuta said that the exact number of immigrants who had been able to reach Ceuta was still not clear, but added that they will stay in the enclave's Temporary Residency for Immigrants which is currently housing 603 people.

It is the first mass attempt to force their way into Ceuta since January 4 when around 250 immigrants tried to reach Spanish soil, but their efforts were frustrated by Moroccan security forces.

[Editor: huaxia]
010020070750000000000000011100001353077131